Latinitas

LatinitasMagazine.org - A Strong Voice for Latina Youth

I was so upset to hear that some parents didn't let them hear Obama's speech. I think that is just a sign of racism. I think it is sad that any American wouldn't want their kids to hear the president talk about the importance of education. Some people say that racism doesn't exist. I think we've gotten a lot better, but I think there are still people out there in this country who judge people because of the color of their skin. I've gone traveling in small towns in Texas where my family gets stared at because they are darker. It is so not cool. I hope that someday racism will be gone.

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you completely. I would think parents would be supportive and want their children hear about the importance of education especially from someone with such authority whom is actually taking the time to reach out to the children of nation. It is sad to say that racism still does exist. The only thing we can do is not spread racism. With in your family promote being open minded and discourage racism. I also hope one day soon racism will be gone.
Yes i know what you mean. When i went to Virginia the taxi guy asked me out of no where if i were mexican. I told him yes and he said "Oh it must suck to be poor" and to put it worst i told him I'm from El Paso and which made him think that I was from mexico. Some people do not know that el paso is part of texas they assume its like juarez. so not only did he run the meter crazy since i did not know where i was at he looked at me weird. So yes getting rid of racism is important and also to stop judging people by the way they look or their background.
I like to think that it doesn't, but then I hear about hate crimes and really racist comments and it makes me realize that it still exists. I think we've come a long way, but we still have a long way to go.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

About

Latinitas created this Ning Network.

Links: Connect with Latinitas

Can't get enough of Latinitas.
Read the magazine: LatinitasMagazine.org

Get an RSS feed of our latest updates.
Find us on MySpace.
Connect on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter!
Check our Youtube Channel.
Listen to our Podcast.
View our Flickr gallery.
Sign-up for our Enews.
Visit our blog.

Post questions & get Advice.
Post a blog.

View the Latinitas Video Tutorials to learn how to participate in our community.

Report abuse or problems to the moderator.

Read More From Latinitas

© 2022   Created by Latinitas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service